POSTGRADUATE ADMISSIONS WITH MHRD SCHOLARSHIP
A candidate is eligible for Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) Scholarship/ Assistantship in Engineering/Technology/Architecture/Pharmacy/Sciences at engineering colleges/institutes in the country if he/she qualifies in GATE . To avail the scholarship, additionally, the candidate must secure admission to such a postgraduate programme, as per the prevailing procedure of the admitting institution. GATE qualification by itself does not guarantee admission. GATE qualified candidates in Engineering disciplines are also eligible for the award of the Junior Research Fellowship in CSIR Laboratories. Some government organizations prescribe GATE qualification as a requirement for applying to the post of a Scientist/Engineer.
As per the directives of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Govt. of India, the following procedure is to be adopted for admission to postgraduate programmes (Master's and Doctoral) with MHRD Scholarship/Assistantship . The GATE performance of the candidate will be considered for admission. If the candidate is to be selected through interview for postgraduate programmes, minimum 70% weightage is to be given to the GATE performance . The remaining weightage (30% maximum) can be given to the marks obtained by the candidate in his/her qualifying examination or interview. Candidates opting for a general paper (XE or XL) should be further examined (by interview/written test) by the admitting institution. In such cases also the weightage for GATE score should not be less than 70%. The admitting institution will prescribe minimum passing percentage of marks in the interview. Some Colleges/Institutes specify GATE as mandatory qualification even for admission without MHRD Scholarship/Assistantship.
Candidates are advised to seek details about admission procedures and availability of MHRD Scholarship/Assistantship from the department of their interest or postgraduate office of the concerned institution. GATE offices will not entertain any enquiry about admission and award of Scholarship/Assistantship.
While qualifying in GATE is essential for all candidates seeking admission to postgraduate programmes with MHRD Scholarship/Assistantship, the management of the postgraduate Scholarship/Assistantship is the responsibility of the admitting institution. The GATE Committee has no role in the award or disbursement of Scholarship/Assistantship. Similarly, reservation of seats under different categories is as per the policies and norms prevailing at the admitting institution and the Government of India rules.
According to MHRD rules, the award of postgraduate Scholarship/Assistantship to GATE qualified candidates is for a maximum period of 24 months for Master's degree programmes in Engineering/Technology/Architecture/Pharmacy/Science.
Additional Scorecards (up to a maximum of two) will be issued only once on request and on payment of Rs 300 per card. Such requests should reach the Organizing Chairman. These cards will be labelled as Additional Scorecard -1 and Additional Scorecard - 2 at the top. However, if the candidate changes his/her admitting institution by using the additional scorecard(s), he/she is required to clarify the matters related to his/her admission and Scholarship/Assistantship with the new institution where subsequent admission change is sought.
The GATE Score of a candidate is in the range 0 to 1000. It reflects the performance of a candidate, irrespective of the GATE paper or year in which he/she has qualified. Candidates with same GATE Score from different GATE papers and/or years can be considered to have the same performance level.
At present, students in the Integrated Master's Degree and Dual Degree programmes in Engineering/ Technology are eligible to appear in GATE 2007 in order to qualify for the postgraduate scholarship in their own institutions only. They are not eligible for admission to a fresh M.E/M.Tech. programme.