Many students may not
be aware that there are several institutions in this country,
offering specialized postgraduate programmes in various
disciplines. Attractive scholarship / Assistantship for
postgraduate courses in engineering / Technology / Architecture
/Pharmacy at Engineering colleges / institutes in the country
,are available to those who qualify through GATE. Some
Engineering colleges / institutes specify GATE as a mandatory
qualification even for admission do students to post graduate
programmes. The candidate is required to find the procedure of
final selection and award of scholarship / Assistantship from
the respective Institution to which the candidate seeks
admission. GATE qualified candidates in Engineering subjects)
will also be eligible for the award of junior research
fellowship in CSIR Laboratories.
What is GATE ?
The Graduate Aptitude
Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all-India examination
administered and conducted in eight zones across the country by
the GATE Committee comprising faculty from Indian Institute of
Science, Bangalore and seven Indian Institutes of Technology on
behalf of the National Coordinating Board - GATE, Department of
Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD),
Government of India.
meritorious and motivated candidates for admission to Post
Graduate Programmes in Engineering, Technology, Architecture and
Pharmacy at the National level. To serve as benchmark for
normalisation of the Undergraduate Engineering Education in the
Why should we take GATE:
- M.Tech degree leads to specialization and
furthering of interest in a certain area which may lead to Ph.D
- M.Tech degree is best for those wishing to
apply for Faculty/Research positions in educational Institutes/R&D
- Availability of GATE forms: 21st September, 2010
- Last Date for filling up forms: 27th October, 2010
- Online Examination Date: 30th January, 2016
- Offline Examination Date: 13th February, 2016
- GATE Exam Results: 15th March, 2016
- The examination is a single paper of 3 hours
duration and consists of 65 Questions with Maximum of 100 Marks.
- You have to opt for your subject and study as per
the syllabus mentioned in the GATE brochure.
- The subjects of our interest are Computer Science
and Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering., Electrical
Engineering and Instrumentation Engineering. Other subjects are also
available such as Mathematics, Physics, etc.
- Results of qualified candidates in GATE will give
All India Rank and indicate percentile score. For example, a percentile
score of 99 means you are in the top 1% category of the candidates who
appeared for GATE.
- Candidates who get less than 70 percentile get no
- GATE scores are valid for 2 years. You may reappear
the GATE exam if you are not satisfied with the earlier score and the new
score (if better than the old one) will be used for admission purposes.
After the Exam, what next:
- After publication of GATE results, students must
apply to individual Institutes to get their application forms.
- Institutes advertise M.Tech admissions in leading
newspapers from 1st April till end July. However some Institutes
do not advertise and therefore students have to get the forms themselves.
- In the application forms, you have to mention your
GATE score alongwith other details.
- The concerned Institute may conduct written test
and/or interview for the purpose of admission.
- General thumb rules: If your GATE score in Computer
Science is 96 percentile or more then you can try for IITs, if between 85 -
96 percentile, then apply for top RECs, JADAVPUR, SHIBPUR, ROORKEE, etc. If
less than 85, you have to look for appropriate institutes.
During the pursuit of M.Tech, you are paid a scholarship
of Rs. 8000.00 per month by the Government of India. This amount is enough for
living expenses including purchase of books, etc. The scholarship is paid for
the entire 18 months M.Tech period.
We encourage 3rd year students to also appear
GATE alongwith Final Year students since:
- GATE score is valid for 2 years.
- The syllabus as required by GATE is generally over
by 5th semester.
- Anyway, it will be a good try ! If it is a bad score
you can always try again.